Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Are Choke and Pinch Collars Cruel?

I don’t think so.  When used properly they are very effective training tools that do not hurt the dog - I swear!  Actually, I wanted to see how a Pinch Collar felt, so today I put one on.  I pulled pretty hard on it, and even though I am making a silly face, I promise it didn’t hurt.  It created an even pressure around my neck.  It did not feel like it was biting or cutting into my skin.  Obviously, my neck is built much differently than a dog’s.  I don’t have the extra skin, muscle and fur that a dog has.  I'm making the assumption a dog's neck is sturdier than mine; therefore, a strong dog wouldn’t be phased by the amount of pressure I used on myself, and could easily tolerate a fair amount more.  


Personally, I think Choke and Pinch collars are great tools for the strong and the strong willed dogs that have figured out the trick of a "Training Harness" or a "Head Collar.Some dogs will learn how to anticipate and brace themselves against the Harness or Head Collar so they are able to avoid the pull redirection function (see my post re: Loose Leash Walking for more info).  These strong dogs can effectively pull themselves in the direction they want in spite of the use of a Training Collar or Head Collar.  Want to give a Choke or Pinch Collar a try?  Make sure to follow these rules:

1)      This is a training tool only – NOT an everyday collar.  Do NOT leave this collar on your dog unless you are actively training your dog.  You could severely injure or even KILL your dog if left on unsupervised and the collar catches on something. 

2)      Make sure you are using the Choke or Pinch Collar properly.  If you have any doubt, please seek help from a trainer because you can injure your dog.  

Choke and Pinch collars work through the use of a quick “constriction/release” of the collar which is called a “correction.”  Some trainers say this constriction around the neck simulates the correction given by the mother dog to her pups when they are too rowdy or out of line.  Folks in the “Corrective Training” camp believe this type of training method is superior to “Positive Reinforcement” because it is closer to what actually occurs in nature.  

To properly use these types of collars you will need to have a fair amount of play in the collar (the collar should be loose) so it can easily slide to constrict and then release.  99% of the time the collar should be LOOSE (a correction takes less 1 second).  It is done by making a quick, firm pull on the leash to create the constriction, then immediately release.  Do NOT keep your dog in a semi-permanent choked state.  If you find you are keeping your dog in a semi-permanent choked state, stop this type of training.  You are doing it wrong.  Get some professional help.   Finally, make sure your corrections are well timed.  

If Choke and Pinch collars still make you uncomfortable, or if your dog doesn’t react well to them, then my advice is you should try something else.  There are other training options available to you.  In my upcoming post about “Loose Leash Walking” I discuss some of these alternative training tools and how to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment